Image Map

Thursday 30 January 2014

Battle of The Hair Oils: Kerastase v's L'Oreal Elvive

I thought I'd do a compare and contrast on these two hair oils; L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil mist and Kerastase Elixir Ultime. I'm about half way through the L'Oreal and I've finished the Kerastase so I thought now was as good a time as any.


L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil Mist
This is a dry oil mist for fine hair, enriched with lotus flower extract for "luxurious shine, flowing softness and a weightless finish". This is for use through the length and ends of wet or dry hair. I just use it on the ends of my hair when wet. It smells lovely, absorbs fairly quickly and when used in limited amounts, can be very effective. I say that because there can be the temptation to over-spray this which really weighs my fine hair down. Otherwise, I do like this, I just don't prefer it to the Kerastase. I bought the L'Oreal cause it was on offer in Boots for about €8 for 100mls and I couldn't afford it's more expensive counterpart up there. It'll do for now but when I have the moolah again I'll be trying something a bit more like...

Kerastase Elixir Ultime
Containing four precious oils, this is definitely a thicker formula- recommended use is 1-2 drops into your hand and smoothed over the ends of wet or dry hair. This is also fairly versatile, you can use it in a number of ways; as a luxurious pre-wash treatment, pre blow-dry to nourish, protect and add shine, as a finishing product to reduce flyways or as an intensive leave-in conditioner. I definitely miss using this, I found it worked really well for me and never weighed my hair down or left it greasy.
This is obviously much more pricey at around the €34 mark for 125mls. Having said that, it lasted me for about a year and a half so it was well worth it in the end.

Both smell lovely and work well in their own ways but I would recommend the Kerastase over the L'Oreal for sure. I also have my eye on the somewhat newer Kerastase Elixir Ultime for fine/sensitive hair.
Have you used either of these? Are hair oils your thing?
XX


12 comments:

  1. Never tried a hair oil, but would love to find something good for the dry ends on my hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using them for a while now, definitely makes a difference imo, I notice when I haven't used it for a while. x

      Delete
  2. I rarely use hair oils because my hair is so fine, the pricey one sounds the business though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is really fine too but tends to split easily so I need a little extra help in the moisturiser department ;)

      Delete
  3. I found the same thing with the L'Oreal one, it used to come out in a squirt (That sounded rude) compared to a mist, so I ended up looking like a weird lanky haired bridie with it in. I do love hair oils but mainly use them on damp hair and on the ends. I keep meaning to try them as a leave in treatment overnight and see if it makes any diff to my hurr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that with the Body shop dry coconut oil before, didn't notice a huge difference I have to say.

      Delete
  4. I have thin hair, but I have to say, I swear by the Loreal oil. I put it in my hair BEFORE I wash it and I cannot tell you how much of a difference it makes! - musicandeverything.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, great tip, thank you Claire, will try that for sure! :)

      Delete
  5. I don't really get hair oils - probably 'cos I have fine, reasonably oily hair so I'm all about volume in my hair products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On my last trip the Hairdressers she used the Kerastase oil on my hair and oh my, my hair had never been softer after it! I did pick up the L'oreal Ever Riche oil and am liking it so far, definitely not as good as the Kerastase though.

    Great post, following you after finding your blog through MakeupMonsters Beauty Blog Club! :) Hope you can check out mine :)

    Aisling xx
    http://bl0ssombeauty.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the Kerastase Elixir, it smells gorgeous and leaves my hair feeling lovely and easier to style. The L'Oreal isn't in the same league in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't used either of these, my hair has a tendency to get quite greasy if I overdose on any kind of oil-based products so I don't think I would get the value from them - saying that, Orofluido is one of my favourite hair products ever, a teeny tiny minute dab of it rubbed in the palms of my hands makes my hair smell delicious after I straighten it and it shines! (a miracle)

    ReplyDelete