Image Map

Thursday 8 May 2014

Why I Use Goodreads

I've seen several differing opinions on the book lovers site Goodreads floating about the interwebs, so I thought I'd add in my own two cents.


Goodreads describe themselves as the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations. Once you set up your account you can add books that you've read, books you're currently reading and books you want to read. Furthermore, you can interact with others and find people with similar taste in books to yourself, get a discussion going and leave your own reviews. 
Some of the negative comments regarding the site have been that it's almost too organised and reading should be more organic; what you read shouldn't be so rigidly recorded and that it could result in reading just for the sake of reading to hit a target. I understand why people feel this way but personally I'm really fond of it. I've been using it for over a year now and have found it hugely helpful.
Here's (really specifically) why I love it:

  • They do these beautiful original illustrations (above) to match famous quotes from books or authors. It's only a small thing but I love these. 
  • It has a "scanning" option so if I'm in a book shop and am unsure about a particular title, I can scan the barcode into Goodreads and it automatically gives me reviews and ratings on it from other readers. Yes, you're not always going to have the same opinions as someone else bit if it comes back as 95% positive reviews, I'll feel a lot happier about taking a chance on it.
  • You can set yourself a reading challenge for the year. I've decided to read 60 books this year and Goodreads keeps count for me and tells me how everyone else is doing with their challenges (for a bit of extra encouragement!).
  • I admit I've been guilty of forgetting certain books that I've read and so this is just a really helpful way of keeping an account of that. 
  • One of the main reasons why I love it so much is you can track your progress with the book you're currently reading. I tend to always have a few books on the go and never remember to use bookmarks so I just add into Goodreads where I am in each book. It's a handy record keeper plus it definitely encourages me to to keep going with any more arduous reads. 
  • You get invites to online chats with your favourite authors and events; last week I was invited to download a free YA book on Amazon, which I did..Yay, free books!
  • Speaking of which, there's a whole section on Goodreads for free Ebooks. At the moment I'm reading Dubliners and Mrs Dalloway on Goodreads (for free) and previously I've read everything from Sherlock Holmes to Frankenstein with a good smattering of Shakespeare in there too. There's a great selection and it's so handy for when you're stuck waiting somewhere and you don't have a real book to hand. 
  • They send me emails with personalised recommendations of books I might like based on what I've already read...ah, yes please!! Not that I need help with finding books but nothing makes me happier than a book list. Nothing. 


You can find my profile HERE if you want to see how it works. Do you use Goodreads? If not why not?! Let me know in the comments!
XX


10 comments:

  1. I love Goodreads, it's so handy for finding new authors, reading reviews and getting a fair idea if I'd like a book or not. It encourages me to read more (I'm doing the book challenge too!) and I like getting updates when an author I like releases a new book. The main thing I like about it is the fact I can rate a book I've read and if I forget or I'm looking for new books from the same author I can see how many books I've read and liked from them before. I'm more inclined to pick up a book or ignore one based on past ratings I've given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a good point too about the books by the same author actually. I probably have used it for that too but can't think of a specific time off the top of my head!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I might do one myself at some stage, as I have seen a few different Goodread opinions videos with some Booktubers. I love the fact it records how much you've read, I find it really encouraging to see the percentage rise. And I love the explore option, to look at lists and see new books from the genres you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do! I love seeing what other book people think about it too! Yes, I forgot about the explore option! They have some crazy themes for their lists that are great craic to scroll through!

      Delete
  3. I have recently joined good reads as I love reading, my mobile library is very handy but goodreads is great for the reviews, although I haven't yet got full use of all it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following you on it now Dawn! It took me a while to figure out all the different stuff they do but I'm really into it now! x

      Delete
  4. I keep meaning to give Goodreads another go, now that I've gotten my reading mojo back. I wasn't using it much last time, so ended up deleting my account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth giving it another go Paula, it took me a little while to get into it myself to start with!!

      Delete
  5. I actually have never heard of it before(have I been under a rock you say!?)but it sounds AMAZING!!!! defo gonna look it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth checking out! I'm addicted to it!!

      Delete