Image Map

Monday 14 December 2015

Book Gift Guide Christmas 2015

I'm pretty much avoiding writing gift guides in general this year (unless you count THIS one but that's a gift guide for myself, so…) but I always do a book gift guide because as I've often mentioned, I think books make the best presents. You still have about two weeks to buy your Christmas presents and as books don't really sell out, you have plenty of time to get this lot!
I haven't read all of these so you can't blame me if they're not all the bees knees but there's bound to be some good'uns in there! 
Clicking on the book titles will bring you directly to their listing on The Book Depository but you may be stuck now with Christmas delivery times so I'd say check out and support your local bookstores instead! 

For Those With A Penchant For Just Plain Old Damn Good Fiction:
These cover several different sub sets of literary genres so pick and choose yourself from Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Thriller, Short Story, Dystopia, Love Story and Epic Tales. I've only read one of these (Asking For It) but have bought a couple as presents, knowing they'll be good reads.


Fates And Furies by Lauren Goff, 
Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sara Baume, 
Asking For It by Louise O' Neill, 
The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham, 
According To Yes by Dawn French, 
A Spool Of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler, 
The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood, 
The Grownup By Gillian Flynn and 
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

For Those Who Love A Juicy Memoir:
I'm one of the those in this case. I love a good autobiography, generally I save my Audible credits for them as the author usually reads them themselves but it's hard to compete with a heavy, glossy hardback under the tree, am I right?!


Wildflower by Drew Barrymore. This is one I've asked for myself, it looks like a really interesting glimpse into her unusual childhood and how she found herself and her career in her late twenties.

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling. I've read this one and enjoyed it. It didn't have the same oomf to it as her first memoir but it's certainly enjoyable with a few life lessons to be learnt amongst Mindy's trademark self-deprrecating wit.

Spectacles by Sue Perkins. I love Sue and haven't read this one yet but it looks interesting!

Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming. One of the best books I read over the last year, unexpectedly fascinating and poignant in equal measure.

What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey. This is more words of wisdom from Oprah, rather than a memoir but sure, who doesn't want to learn from the best?!

The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. Almost a how to guide on how to learn to ask for help and accept it when it's given to you. Amanda Palmer is just an interesting human anyway, I'd be intrigued by anything she wrote to be honest.


For The Cooking & Baking Fanatic:
You can't really go wrong with a cookbook, everyone loves food!


The Virtuous Tart by Susan Jane White. Following on from the success of her first book The Extra Virgin Kitchen, this looks at how to get a health kick from the sweet indulgences in your life.

Deliciously Ella by Ella Woodward. I've bought this and Happy Pear by David and Stephen Flynn during the year for loved ones. Both have delicious recipes for those who are a bit more health conscious.


For the Adult Colourer-in:
Colouring books became HUGE in 2015. What was once the favourite of five year olds is now deployed by grown-ups as a form of mindfulness and is actually a great way to unwind after a long day. Know someone who's a bit stressed? Get them a colouring book and some pencils!


Secret Garden by Johanna Basford. This is currently the bestseller and is rather beautiful.

Vogue Colouring Book by Iain R. Webb. For the fashionista in your life.
.
Harry Potter Colouring Book by Warner Brothers. Fans of Harry will love you forever for this one.

For Beauty Lovers:


Your Beauty Mark by Dita Von Teese. I've never been huge fan of Dita (I don't dislike her either, I'm indifferent really) but I do appreciate her style, which is wonderfully old Hollywood glamour.

About Face by Aisling McDermott and Laura Kennedy. beauty experts Aisling and Laura have written this manual of beauty tips and I for one am very eager to read it!

Facepaint: The Story of Makeup by Lisa Eldridge. If I had even a fraction of Lisa Eldridge's beauty know-how I'd be happy, hopefully this book will give its readers some of that!

What's on your book wish-list this year?
XX

4 comments:

  1. Such good choices, I'd definitely like to read the Drew Barrymore memoir as she's had such an interesting life so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good choices, I'd definitely like to read the Drew Barrymore memoir as she's had such an interesting life so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facepaint is on my list and will def pick up some of your fiction recommendations :) I've recently read Robert Galbraith's Career of Evil and LOVED IT! Best of the three books in the series so far! I was actually annoyed with myself that I finished reading it so quickly ;)

    Alex | Pink Elephant Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices! I might give that Drew Barrymore one a go, sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete